Sunday, May 15, 2011

Swarm call update 5/15/2011

I just keep learning more and more.

Friday, as I was getting ready to head to Trudi's to install another hive (ready to catch the next swarm), I got a call about some "ground bees" at the Disc Golf course off North River Road.  Here is what I found:
A bunch of holes in the ground with bees crawling in and out.  Um. Well, I don't know what to do with this situation.

After a review of some websites, I decided that they were miner bees, which are not honey bees.  They are still pollinators, though, so I'm thoughtful about rescuing/protecting them.  Just not sure yet how.

The websites suggested to bring a shovel.  I should shovel the dirt into a bucket and relocate them elsewhere, where people won't be disturbed by them and call an exterminator.  However, I'm concerned that disturbing them through digging would effectively kill the bees, too, so not sure if that is the best route.

I took photos and a troubled head from the location and am still figuring out what I should do, if anything, for the miner bees.  I'm eager for suggestions, anyone!

In other news, the bees at Trudi's are settling in and look good.  I tried to capture a photo of one's translucence--I could see the golden sunset through her thorax. Didn't get the photo to turn out like I wanted.


I also put out a swarm lure in the apple tree in my backyard.  If I catch a swarm, I'll bring it out to Trudi's.

No comments:

Post a Comment