Sunday, October 16, 2011

Time to say something

Exciting times, communication-wise.  Occupy Wall Street and elsewhere, people are finding their voices to express themselves.

This week, I've had a few opportunities to speak up.  Sometimes it is a difficult decision for me, when to say something--should I let it ride, or do I have a responsibility to speak up?  One definition for leadership from NCEE says that we need to take responsibility for what matters to us.  So, I find the courage to speak up.

A friend who is in a new romantic relationship (one month) describes how her boyfriend wants to relocate to her city and move in with her.  I hear reluctance in her voice, even as she's describing the great sex and how flattered she is that he's "willing to move for her."  Disclaimer: I'm perhaps the worst person to give relationship advice, having divorced as many times as I've married.  But perhaps I've learned a thing or two about rushing into relationships, and I felt compelled to send her a message asking "Is that what you really want?"  I hoped it wasn't too "butt-in-ski" of me, and she said it wasn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment