Sunday, November 13, 2011

Detachment and Entanglement

I spent part of the week at a conference on "Engagement:"  engaging our students, engaging faculty to connect with students, engaging the academy with the community, engaging scholarship with solving "real-world" problems.  Now I don't want to go to grad school anymore.

More importantly, I thought about other senses of engagement, including romantic entanglement.

I've been choosing activities and communities that validate detachment:

1) Work.  Work, work, work.  If I'm willing to work weekends, work at night, work through crises, I'm hired.  Or not fired. 

2) Travel.  If I'm far away, I can't be expected to pick up the sick kid from daycare, etc.

3) Relocate. If I live 1000 miles away from family, I'm not expected to get entangled in day-to-day drama.

4) Head space.  If I live in my head, I can justify just about any behavior to suit my wants.

And then there's Charles.  Charles.  Charles said to me, "Karen, a significant relationship makes life experiences relevant.  We need a special person to share our lives with, to celebrate our accomplishments with." 

Damn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment