Sunday, July 8, 2012

Kellogg Institute Week 1 Summary

This summer I am attending the National Center for Developmental Education Kellogg Institute at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC for the month of July.

Week 1: Basic Skills Assessment and Placement
Monday began with a welcome by Dr Hunter Boylan, which included a succinct history of Dev Ed in higher education.  He also framed the current conversation(s) regarding research by TCCU and others critical of Dev Ed--the movement to "end" remediation.

Tuesday-Friday Dr Ed Morante explicated psychometrics, placement vs admission testing, norm-referenced vs criterion-referenced tests, standard error of measurement.

I also met with my advisor, Dr Boylan, to discuss my project. Keeping in mind my "global learner" tendencies, it was important to draw a box around what would and would not be in this project.  Of course I'm still doing the 'big' project (HS outreach, mentoring, pre-remediation of high school students so more of them are college-ready when they graduate, working with HS and MS faculty to improve communication and support for students/share professional development resources/data, increase students' availing themselves of summer programs), but my Kellogg project will focus on supporting the PARENTS of first generation college students (FGCS) --giving them some resources for how to be a parent of a college student.

I started a preliminary list of references.

No comments:

Post a Comment