Sunday, October 14, 2012

Enjoying the Benefits of Good Clean Living

Perhaps you can file this post under 'common sense,' but I admit I haven't always followed these bits of advice.

I have noticed that making healthy choices, what I'm calling "good clean living," has led to positive health outcomes. (See related post about how academic success is a result of specific actions that students take.)

For example, choosing daily exercise, a good run or bike ride or dogwalk or yoga, or whatever way you like to move your body outdoors, can lead you to good energy and focus during the day and good sleep at night. 

Making choices that lead to a good night's sleep can lead to a fresh morning.  Have your materials ready for the next day.  Go to bed early.  Getting plenty of quality sleep can lead to feeling energized, alert, engaged. Don't make me start quoting Ben Franklin.

Eating nutritious food leads to feeling fueled/energized/healthy and to a happy gastro-intestinal system.

Getting good nutrition and good vascular health also leads to good sexual health.  That's nice too.  Making good choices about planning ahead for protection feels empowering and frees the mind to enjoy.

Practicing good mental hygeine, including avoiding synthetic drama, leads to clearer thinking, more balance, integrity and stability.

Exercising moderation with alcohol and other substances (including sugar!) leads to less drama for the liver, pancreas and gall bladder.

Flossing.  My dentist has a sign in his office that reads "Floss only the teeth you want to keep." I like taking care of my teeth, and I positively beam with pride when my hygenist praises me at each cleaning.  "I wish more of my patients were like you, Karen."

No comments:

Post a Comment